Friday, February 27, 2009

An interesting oppurtunity

Thursday, I added another lifter to the morning group. This would be a challenge for both of as he doesn't have the use of his legs. Interestingly enough, this lifter has a great sense of humor and doesn't seem to be bothered by his situation. He is actually married to one of the female lifters who has been with us for a month now. He had two concerns. 1, he didn't want to take anything away form her as far as coaching and attention and 2, he didn't want to be a bother or in the way. I told him, like his wife, these are the training times. Show up, don't get in the way and be prepared to bust some ass. And well, he did.

He declined with use yesterday. Fellow weighs roughly 155-160. He declined 225x6, 245x6 and then 225x8. I would imagine in short order, he'll be doing 275+ for reps. I was very please as was he.

I have been fortunate enough to have judged many, many meets where I've seen lifters like this compete so while I have never coached a lifter with any issue like this, we both have an idea of what to do come time to bench. We are both excited at the prospect of him being able to do something competitive sports wise for the first time in his life.

I'll keep you posted. This will be an interesting process.

No comments:

Post a Comment